Thursday, September 19, 2013

You're Being Watched...I Hope

Ever wonder how long before the government puts up surveillance cameras on lonely streets or locations where groups of guys get together to gang up on passing women? I have. 

My thoughts were cut short when I remembered how there are druggies in our country who won't even leave the copper wire by the side of railway tracks intact in the hope of cashing them in to finance their next joint. And who'll monitor the cameras? Manforce is needed. 



I'm more interested in what, we, as society can do by ourselves to make a difference. This button spy camera seemed interesting and it seems like one of the few alternatives right now with Google Glass not yet released to the public yet. I can think of a few possibilities: we could record a day in the life of a woman travelling everywhere by herself and host these videos on websites aimed at naming and shaming the creeps harassing her out on her daily routine. 

I also liked this initiative a lighting company took recently to light up deserted areas with its advertisement hoarding to make places safer for women. 

It's impressive how well people behave themselves when they know/think they're being watched. 
Read: How the Illusion of Being Observed Can Make You a Better Person

No comments:

Post a Comment